Assn: Quiz over "Miss Hinch" (Open book/open note)
Wednesday--Voc test over "Miss Hinch"
Thursday--Introduce new vocabulary
Friday--Discuss "Through the Tunnel." Start writing short theme paragraph. See slides.
Focus questions for "Through the Tunnel"
1. What two conflicts are presented in this story?
2. Against whom or what is Jerry fighting?
3. What is Jerry’s age and family situation?
4. How are the conflicts resolved finally?
5. Why does Jerry cry when he cannot dive through the tunnel?
6. Why does Jerry keep this feat from his mother?
7. What does the last sentence of this short story imply?
8. What does Jerry fear as he is swimming in the tunnel?
9. If Jerry would have had his own set of friends at the bay, would he have felt the need to follow the older boys?
10. What are some signs of Jerry’s immaturity?